Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April 08 Book of the Month

Announcing Planet Silas' April Book of the Month:
Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes.
Summary: Kitten sees the full moon and mistakes it for a bowl of milk, which she simply must have.
As a librarian who catalogs children's books for a living, I see many picture books, including those who win the big literary awards, such as the Caldecott. When Kitten's First Full Moon won the Caldecott Award a few years ago, however, I have to admit I wasn't totally convinced, though I do like the author quite a bit. Then the reviews started to come in from the school librarians: little kids LOVE this book. Silas adores it as well, and I can now say that I am a Kitten's First Full Moon convert, big time.
This book has what it takes to engage young readers--bold high contrast illustrations, an appealing character, rhythmic, appropriately repetitive text and a simple lightly humorous story. it's quite a fun one to read out loud (and believe me, I've already done so a bunch of times). I've added the baby sign for "milk" when I read that word in the text so that I can convey to Silas that Kitten and he have a common love of milk.
This month's honorable mentions:
Miffy's Counting Book by Dick Bruna. This was Silas' favorite book when he was 3 or 4 months old. Seriously. He couldn't get enough of that book and would always calm down when we read it to him. He's still quite a Miffy fan.
Hairbrushes for Babies with Little Hair by Silas.
no, just kidding.
I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak. Silas got this book from his Grandma G for his birthday. It's quickly been added to his daily book rotation. He seems to really "relate" to the little toddler and his stuffed bear. I like reading this book with him because it lists things about the toddler which are loved, such as "I love your fingers, your toes...Your happy side, your sad side." These sort of phrases allow for us to point out body parts or make emotional expressions as we are reading the text to Silas. Very interacting and fun!

No comments: