Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 09 Book of the Month

Announcing Planet Silas’ December 09 Book of the Month:

Shall I knit you a hat? : a Christmas yarn / by Kate Klise ; illustrated by M. Sarah Klise.

When Mother Rabbit knits a warm winter hat for Little Rabbit, he likes it so much that he suggests they make hats for all of their friends as Christmas gifts.

Definitely at the top of our list of favorite picture books, this is a wonderful, colorful, knit-themed Christmas book, perfect for all of you knitting mamas out there. Another example of a book that I’d love to live in, Little Rabbit and his mother have such a caring and close relationship. They share carrot cake as well as hat-making ideas, and snuggle together on the couch of their cozy little home. Silas and I love to look at the pictures together, especially the winter market scenes, which are filled with an assortment of animals buying or selling all kinds of foods and holiday treats. I love that the Rabbits stay up late together making gifts for their friends, and I love that although the hats may be ridiculous, their recipients realize the value of the homemade hats, not just for their practical application, but because their friends cared enough to make each hat “especially for you” as Little Rabbit says.

At the back of the paperback edition, there is a pattern to make a hat like Little Rabbit’s, complete with bunny ears. How could I resist! Now I have my own Little Rabbit!

(I'll post a few more hat pictures later...)

Maybe if we’re very good boys and girls, the Rabbits will invite us to their house to celebrate Christmas with some tea and three pieces of carrot cake each! That’s what I want for Christmas this year:)

No comments: