Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Back to Work

Last week was my first full week back at work. Any mother who has had to go back to work and leave a small baby behind will understand how difficult this transition is for me. I'd much rather be at home with Silas, and needless to say, my heart is at home, not at work. While we were all at the farmer's market this weekend, someone asked me if I was a full-time mom. I said "yes, I am, and I also work outside the home." It' s ridiculous and actually heartbreaking to think that I somehow stop being a mom the moment I walk out the door in the morning. The reality is that I have two full time jobs --but I am a mother 24/7 . When I'm at work I think about Silas constantly, call home to check in and "talk" to him, pump milk twice so that Si can stay 100% breast-milk fed, and fight back tears at having to be away from him. The good news is that Drew and Silas are adjusting well to the change. Si did not want to take a bottle at first, but hunger conquered his objections, and he now eats just fine while I'm away. Hopefully, they will come in with me to Silverdale every now and then and hang out around town , allowing me to breastfeed Silas and not be so homesick. I'm really looking forward to that!

No comments: