Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 8, 2009

For the love of Bob (and Belle & Sebastian)


As mentioned in the last post, Silas has a serious music obsession. Topping the list of favorites are Bob Dylan (Maggie's Farm is his favorite Bob song) and Belle & Sebastian (Judy and the Dream of Horses tops the list). He requests "Bob Dylan" and "Ba'tian" ALL of the time, Maggie's Farm and "Dream Horses" being asked for specifically. Not surprisingly, he often wants to listen to his favorite songs over and over again. While it's true that we grow weary of listening to Maggie's Farm multiple times a day, we also know that it is way better than having to listen to brain numbing Barney-like music or watch the same video over and over again. Drew and I speculated that he grew attached to "Dream of Horses" because he sees horses every day when he takes his walk, so it is something in his life that he can identify with. Perhaps it's because of that that he also asks that I sing "Pwitty Horses" (All the Pretty Horses) to him at bedtime.

It boggles my mind to see how long he will stand near the stereo and just listen to the music, dancing around from time to time, but mainly just listening. In our world of constant multitasking, I realize that I hardly ever just sit and listen to music. I'm always doing something else to occupy my hands or my head. There's something to be said for the one-track mind of a toddler. He really pays close attention and has learned a lot of vocabulary from music. He will also announce when different instruments are being played (or are about to be played), including guitar, harmonica, base, and horns.

This picture cracks me up every time I look at it. That's Silas, practicing his moves:
Drew recently made Silas a Bob Dylan tee and two Belle & Sebastian tees. We only got a picture of one of the B & S tees. Dreaming of horses, are we Silas?

No comments: